This is the Goethe-Institut program aimed at English-language publishers for the translation of German-language literature into English.
English-language publishers can apply as of now for grants supporting the translation into English of important works of German-language literature.
- Grants are available for
- current German-language literary fiction, poetry, non-fiction books, children’s and young adults’ literature as well as graphic novels;
- non-fiction books dealing with current, socially relevant topics.
- A valid license agreement and a contract with a qualified translator must exist at the time of application.
- The translation must be from the German original, which must already have been published in print.
- Only projects that have not yet gone to press at the time the subsidy agreement is concluded will be considered for funding.
- The American publisher is obligated to mention Goethe-Institut as a sponsor and print the logo of the Goethe-Institut (see contract for exact wording). Should this be neglected, Goethe-Institut reserves the right to not disburse the agreed-upon sum or to demand repayment.
Applications are accepted using an online application form starting now. Applications will be processed on an ongoing basis.
The Zebra Under the Bed by Markus Orths and Kerstin Meyer features in the latest reader and is guaranteed a grant for translation into English. For the English review and sample translation please click on the cover of the Books First Reader: